This combo edition features the best new film releases still in theatres from April and the highly-anticipated May films coming soon. See below for the Top 4 films on my radar as well as an extra list of releases for a great mix of action, comedy, fantasy, drama and historic films.
1) ‘The Fate of the Furious’ – Friday April 14
The Fate of the Furious is the eighth installment in The Fast and Furious franchise featuring the return of the massive star-studded ensemble cast of Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Michelle Rodriguez, Kurt Russell and many more. The story follows Dominic Toretto as he is manipulated into helping cyberterrorist Cipher, played by the incredible Charlize Theron, and forced to turn on his family. Dom’s team works with “Mr. Nobody” and a few other familiar faces as they try to bring Dom back and stop Cipher from starting World War III. Personally, regardless to how ridiculous the action scenes and cheesy lines are throughout this franchise, I will always love and will want to see each new release as long as they are being made.
2) ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ – Friday May 5
Guardians of the Galaxy – Vol. 2 is the highly anticipated sequel to the 2014 superhero film Guardians of the Galaxy featuring the return of the incredible ensemble cast of Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Dave Bautista, and Vin Diesel. The story follows the Guardians as they travel through the galaxy to help their leader Peter Quill find his father and to once again save the universe. I absolutely loved the comedic elements of the first film and I CANNOT WAIT to see Baby Groot in action! To say I’m anxiously awaiting the night I see this film is a massive understatement.
3) ‘Baywatch’ – Thursday May 25
Baywatch is an action-comedy film remake of the TV series of the same name. The story features the big and buff Dwayne Johnson as leader of the lifeguard squad Mitch Buchannon as he adds ex-Olympian and new recruit Matt Brody (Zac Efron) to the team. The crew work to disrupt the drug trafficking operations of the new club owner on their beach. I love Dwayne Johnson in pretty much anything he does so I’m eager to see how he brings his spin to the iconic series. Plus, I can’t wait for the one-liners and hilarious inevitable slow-mo running sequence.
4) ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ – Friday May 26
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is the fifth installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean fantasy franchise starring Johnny Depp, Kevin McNally and Geoffrey Rush in their reprised roles as Captain Jack Sparrow, Joshamee Gibbs, and Hector Barbossa. The story follows Sparrow as he is hunted down by an old enemy, Armando Salazar, played by the brilliant Javier Bardem. Sparrow and his allies must seek out the ancient and powerful Trident of Poseidon in order gain control of the seas and stop Salazar from killing all pirates.
EXTRA FILM RELEASES – APRIL 2017
- ‘Gifted’ (Fri Apr 7): is a drama film featuring Chris Evans as Frank Adler who has becomes the guardian of his seven-year-old genius niece after his sister passes away. The story follows Frank as he tries to raise his niece the way his sister would have wished, while fighting against his mother’s wishes.
- ‘Free Fire’ (Fri Apr 21): is an action-comedy film set in late-70s Boston following a meeting between two gangs that turns deadly. The film features a star-studded ensemble cast of Brie Larson, Armie Hammer, Cillian Murphy and Sharlto Copley.
- ‘The Lost City of Z’ (Fri Apr 21): is a biographical drama film based on the book of the same name written by David Grann, featuring Charlie Hunnam in the lead role of British explorer Colonel Percy Fawcett. Set in the 1920s, the story follows Fawcett as he explores the Amazon in hopes of finding an ancient lost city.
- ‘The Circle’ (Fri Apr 28): is a techno-thriller film based on the novel of the same name written by Dave Eggers, featuring Emma Watson in the lead role of Mae Holland. The story follows Holland as she joins an influential internet company founded by manipulative businessman Eamon Bailey (Tom Hanks) and slowly unravels the company’s misuse of power.
EXTRA FILM RELEASES – MAY 2017
- ‘King Arthur: Legend of the Sword’ (Fri May 12): is a fantasy film set in 5th-century Britain starring Charlie Hunnam in the protagonist role of King Arthur and Jude Law in the antagonist role of Vortigern. The story follows Arthur as he is challenged to pull the powerful sword Excalibur from the stone, which forces him to decide to fulfill his birthright as King.
- ‘Snatched’ (Fri May 12): is an action comedy film following the mother-daughter duo of Linda and Emily Middleton, played by Goldie Hawn and Amy Schumer. The story follows the pair on a hilarious adventure as their exotic vacation turns into a fateful expedition to escape their kidnappers.
- ‘Everything, Everything’ (Fri May 19): is a romantic drama film based on the novel of the same name written by Nicola Yoon. The film stars Amanda Stenberg as Maddy Whittier, a teenager with a rare disease that prevents her from leaving her home. The story follows Maddy as she slowing falls in love with her neighbour Olly Bright (Nick Robinson) and begins to grow outside of the walls of her sheltered life.