June is packed with exciting sequels of impressive original films and a couple long awaited releases! I have featured trailers of the two films I am most eager to see, as well as a few extras coming to the big screen if my choices aren’t your style.
1) Me Before You – In Theatres Friday June 3
Me Before You is a romantic book-to-film adaptation of the novel with the same name written by Jojo Moyes, featuring Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin in the lead roles. Louisa (Emilia Clarke) is a woman in her mid-20s who has recently been taken in by her working-class family after losing her job. She wants to get back on her feet so she heads to the local job centre and is chosen to be the caretaker of Will Traynor (Sam Claflin), a wealthy man who was recently paralyzed in a tragic accident. Although Louisa does not have a ton of experience she has a bubbly personality that Will’s mother Camilla knows will be a positive influence for Will.
I have been in love with Emilia Clarke ever since I saw the pilot episode of Game of Thrones, so I’m eager to see her perform in a more playful role. Also, Sam Claflin performed exceptionally well as Finnick Odair in the Hunger Games franchise, so I’m excited to see how his character will develop throughout this film. I have a very strong feeling that this film is going to be quite similar to the tearjerking masterpiece of The Fault in Our Stars, so get your Kleenex boxes ready people!
2) Central Intelligence – In Theatres Friday June 17
As you can probably tell from a few of my previous CCC posts, I adore Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. So, I personally have been eagerly awaiting the release of Central Intelligence as I have been seeing photos and snippets of hilarious behind-the-scenes videos on Johnson’s Instagram for the last few months. Central Intelligence is an action comedy that will feature Johnson in the role of overweight nerd turned CIA agent Bob Stone alongside Kevin Hart in the role of cool kid turned accountant Calvin Joyner. The two meet up at their high school reunion and Bob recruits Calvin to help him out with a top-secret case. The trailer (see link above) shows the two working together in hilarious fashion as they try to save the day, so I’m excited to see how it all unravels on the big screen!
- Now You See Me 2 (In Theatres – Fri June 10): is a magic thriller that is a sequel to the 2013 original Now You See Me. The film is set three years after the events of the first film with Dylan Rhodes (Mark Ruffalo) and The Four Horsemen returning to perform their second act by taking on tech genius Walter Mabry (Daniel Radcliffe).
- Warcraft (In Theatres – Fri June 10): is a fantasy film based on the popular Warcraft video game/novel series set in the world of Azeroth. The storyline focuses on the first meetings between the humans and the orcs taking place in a variety of areas from the game series. The film has a great cast performing live-action and voice over roles such as Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Ben Foster, and Dominic Cooper.
- Finding Dory (In Theatres – Fri June 17): is the long awaited sequel to the classic Disney Pixar film Finding Nemo with Ellen DeGeneres reprising her role as the adorably forgetful blue tang fish Dory. The storyline of the film follows Dory’s adventure to try and finally reunite with her family!
- Independence Day: Resurgence (In Theatres – Fri June 24): is a sci-fi disaster film that is the sequel to the 1996 original film Independence Day. Set twenty years after the events of the first film, the storyline focuses on another attack as Earth tries to fight off the advances of an extraterrestrial threat. A few cast members such as Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman are back to reprise their roles, while newcomers Liam Hemsworth and William Fichtner take on new characters.
- Free State of Jones (In Theatres – Fri June 24): is an American war film based on the life of Newton Knight (Matthew McConaughey) who lead an armed rebellion against the Confederacy in Jones County, Mississippi during the height of the Civil War. Knight was a poor farmer that became a key part of the rebellion as he banded together local farmers and slaves to fight for his cause.