Game of Thrones is one of my all-time favourite shows, therefore I am extremely excited about it’s return to HBO this Sunday April 12th with the Season 5 Premiere airing at 9:00pm. This Series Spotlight is going to be different from past segments because I am not solely going to focus on readers who haven’t seen the show. Therefore, I have decided to provide a brief description of the premise of the show and then I will continue on with specific content for those who are already die-hard fans!
Game of Thrones is a fantasy drama television series adaptation of George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire book series. The show was created by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, and is filmed both in a Belfast studio as well as on location in Northern Ireland, Croatia, Iceland, Morocco, Spain, Malta, Scotland, and the United States. The genre is fantasy drama but it was also specifically created for HBO, therefore it includes graphic violence and nudity.
The series follows several interweaving plot lines of a broad ensemble cast set on the fictional continents of Westeros and Essos. There are three major narrative arcs that occur with sub plots within each. The first arc commands majority of the show’s attention as it follows several noble houses of the Seven Kingdoms as they fight to rule on the Iron Throne. The second arc focuses on the oncoming threat of Winter and the Night Watch’s effort to fight back the magical White Walkers and ferocious Wildlings. The final arc follows the past dynasty’s last heir in her time of exile, as well as her courageous journey to attempt to reclaim the throne.
I have read the first book of Martin’s series and I can confidently say that the first season of the television adaptation is a true reflection of the book. However, as the television seasons progress they continue to hit several major events of the next couple books, but they do not necessarily take the same paths. This is why the upcoming fifth and sixth seasons will continue to surprise and excite both fans that have and have not read the books.
If you have not yet watched the series I am informing you right now to STOP READING because the rest of this post will contain MULTIPLE SPOILERS!!
In preparation for the Season 5 premiere, my friends and I watched the last three episodes of Season 4 as a mini-refresher. Check out the the list below if you also need a reminder of important events and major deaths.
- Littlefinger pushes his new wife Lady Arryn to her death through the moon door. Sansa Stark protects him by stating Lady Arryn committed suicide and the last we see of Sansa she has transformed into a darker and edgier version of herself.
- Arya and The Hound make it to the Eyrie and then find out Lady Arryn has died. They do not know that Sansa is there so they turn around and end up coming across Brienne of Tarth and Podrick Payne. A fight ensues between Brienne and The Hound, Brienne wins and Arya leaves The Hound to die. The last we see of Arya she is using the coin she received from the assassin to make her way to Braavos.
- Ramsey Snow uses Theon “Reek” Greyjoy to make a castle of Greyjoy relatives surrender and then murders them all. As a reward, Ramsey’s father Roose Bolton gives him the respect of his last name and tells him they are now the commanders of the North.
- Bran Stark and his group FINALLY reach the giant weirwood tree! They are attacked by skeletons, Jojen is fatally stabbed, and Meera tries to help him but he tells them to take refuge in the nearest cave. They finally meet the three-eyed raven who is actually an old man whose body has been fused to the tree. The raven tells Bran that although he will not walk again he will fly.
- Mance’s army of wildlings, giants, and other mystical creatures finally attack the wall. Ygritte, Tormond, Styr, and the rest of the wildlings that climbed the wall attack from the other side. Jon Snow’s friend Pyp dies by one of Ygritte’s arrows and Grenn is killed by a giant. Styr is killed by Jon, Tormond is captured, and Ygritte is killed by a young Night’s Watch boy.
- After the night of fighting at the Wall is done, Jon Snow goes to meet with Mance to negotiate. Then when you think all hope is lost for the Night’s Watch, OUT OF NOWHERE enters Stannis Baratheon and his army who have come to protect the Night’s Watch from Mance’s army! The Night’s Watch then burn all the dead bodies and Jon gives Ygritte a proper burial in the woods North of the Wall.
- Daenerys “Khaleesi” Targaryen is in the city of Meeren with her dragons, confidants, and Unsullied army. She banishes Jorah Mormont after finding out that he spied on her for months for Varys in an attempt to get himself a royal pardon. She is then approached by a former slave who would like to go back to his owner so that he can be a teacher again. She declares that he can if he wish but he is not to enter a contract longer than one year. Then a man comes forth with a burned body and she realizes that one of her dragons has killed this man’s 3 year old daughter. As a result, she chains up two of her dragons with the larger dragon, Drogon, still on the loose.
- At King’s Landing Tyrion is on trial for the death of former King Joffrey Baratheon. Tyrion previously requested a trial by combat, which pinned his choice of Oberyn “The Viper” Martell against Cersei’s choice of Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane. After attempting to convince The Mountain to confess for his sister’s rape and murder, Oberyn is graphically killed. Therefore, Tyrion is to be executed as Oberyn lost the fight.
- The Mountain was poisoned by Oberyn but is still alive so Cersei hands him over to Qyburn. Cersei then confesses to her father that the rumours are true and that she is in love with her brother Jamie and none of her children are fathered by Robert Baratheon. After her confession, Cersei tells Jamie that she doesn’t care what people think and they then share an intimate moment.
- Lastly and most importantly in my opinion, Tyrion is FREED from his dungeon by his brother JAMIE! But, instead of leaving right away Tyrion goes to Tywin’s chambers to kill him and finds SHAE! Tyrion kills Shae for her betrayal and then goes to confront his father. Tyrion finds him in the bathroom and after a dramatic conversation he KILLS TYWIN!!! Then he escapes with Varys’ help and they both sail off to Essos.
If that wasn’t enough of a refresher for you, check out the two videos below. The first gives a summary of where most characters are and what they are up to, while the second is the official trailer for Season 5!
Bonus: As usual I wanted to include a few bonus items for the die-hard fans! Click the YouTube link below for a hilarious video of Kit Harington as Jon Snow on Late Night with Seth Meyers. Secondly, if you haven’t already, check out the Buzzfeed article that lists a bunch of fun facts about the actors and actresses that play the glorious Game of Thrones characters!
Seth Brings Jon Snow To A Dinner Party:
49 Things You Never Knew About Game Of Thrones:
Lastly, I felt like including the below two photos because I couldn’t help but laugh hysterically when I saw them. The golden rule of watching or reading Game of Thrones is to NEVER choose favourite characters … because they will most likely die. I learned that one the hard way *cough* *Red Wedding* *cough*.